Thursday, August 31, 2006

Statistics can be scary - this post now comes with a health warning

Was caught by some smoking statistics in an article in the Guardian. So did some sums on the way-in. Sorry if you smoke, but thought the results quite interesting.

500,000 35+ year olds die a year.

Of that 90,000 die due to smoking.

Approximately 1 in 4 people smoke.

Which means of the 500,000 people that die a year, 125,000 of them are smokers.

Which means 71% of smokers die of smoking.

Or 3 out of 4 smokers will die because of smoking.

The question is would you do something if you knew there was only a 29% chance that you would survive? Or 71% chance it would kill you?

I know most anti-cigarette smoking advertising is shock based, but I've never seen the odds quite as starkly as this. Maybe it's already been done, but might actually make people sit up and notice.

Although from my experience, I used to simpy blank it out, switch channels, or believe it wouldn't happen to me.

3 Thoughts?:

Anonymous Marcus Brown said...

I've just come back to my desk after standing outside in the cold and wet; having smoked a Marlboro Light.

This post has just scared me to death.

1:37 pm  
Blogger Will Anderson said...

Sorry about that. It wasn't really my intention, I just wanted to share how scary statistics can be.

And also why on earth the Guardian didn't do the obvious bit, of working out what the multiplier effect would be for a smoker!

Still if you did the same for drinking, I imagine it could be almost as bad!

1:56 pm  
Anonymous MarcusBrown said...

Don't apologise. You did me a great service. It about time I stopped smoking anyway.

8:20 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home